This was meant to be the realization of a design I first prototyped in corrugated cardboard. It came out so ugly, though, that I repurposed it as a decoration and made the prototype the realization of the design. This now hangs in the window, and the coaster sits on my desk under a mug.
It's 100% plexiglas. I didn't have a bandsaw yet, so I was trying to cut the pieces by the score&snap method, but that doesn't work very well for small pieces like this. I also didn't give any thought to how horrible the pieces were going to look with glue between them. Yuck.
Here it is, though, just in case you think that everything I try works out beautifully.