Elliott C. Evans
- US Mail:
- 1105 Shady Avenue; Pittsburgh, PA 15232
- 412-596-2204 (mobile)
- Electronic Mail:
- This Resume - http://www.ee0r.com/resume.html
- LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/elliottcevans
- Writing Samples - http://www.ee0r.com/samples/
- References - http://www.ee0r.com/refer.html
- Publications - http://www.ee0r.com/pubs.html
- PDF Resume - http://www.ee0r.com/Evans-Resume.pdf
- Technical writer and trainer,
with experience documenting both hardware and software.
Has edited and created
documents and documentation sets
for small and large projects.
Has created training materials,
and delivered training in classroom settings.
Highly skilled in creating content for internal and external web sites.
Also knowledgeable regarding digital video and digital image editing.
Works well with engineers and developers.
Capable of learning technical concepts quickly,
and completely enough to communicate them to others.
B. A. in Professional Writing from Carnegie Mellon University,
with more than 25 years of experience.
- B.A. in Professional Writing, 1995,
with a minor in Visual Communication
UNIX, Microsoft Windows, Android, Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS
oXygen, Paligo, Adobe FrameMaker, Microsoft Word, LibreOffice Writer, Microsoft PowerPoint
Paligo, MadCap Flare, Adobe Acrobat, WordPress, RoboHelp, Google Suite
HTML, XML, DITA XML, DocBook XSL, SGML, Wiki text, MML, MarkDown, RST
Corel DRAW, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, GIMP, Inkscape, PhotoShop, Visio
Adobe Premiere, Windows MovieMaker
Emacs, C Shell and SH/BASH, Microsoft Excel, SharePoint, CygWin
- R&D Technical Documentation Specialist II) (September 2020 - Present)
- Creating, editing, and maintaining technical documentation
for mechanical engineering design and analysis software.
- Creating a new user guide in DocBook XML from existing technical material for the
- Updating existing user guides in DITA XML for the
- Creating the user interface reference and results analysis chapters
- Creating and updating documentation sections in DocBook XML
to match interface and functionality changes for the
DesignLife UI and
Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH)
- Contributing to the company-wide release notes, resolved issues lists,
and known issues lists for relevant products.
- Subcontractor (Technical Writer) (April 2020 - June 2020)
- Updating and expanding
business continuity planning documents
for a financial services client.
- Participating in client business unit interviews
to gather and clarify disaster recovery information.
- Technical Writer (May 2018 - October 2019)
- Compiling and editing user manuals of various types
for Voci's speech-to-text software and speech analytics software.
- Expanding and improving the DocBook XML documentation
for Voci's V-Spark transcript analytics package.
- Incorporating new functionality
and expanded parameter information
into the API manual for Voci's V-Spark REST API.
- Finding and fixing errors across the documentation set
as they are identified.
- Working as part of an Agile development team
to assure that the software and documentation
(including release notes)
remain in sync.
- Helping migrate the XML documentation into the
content management system (CMS).
Uber Advanced Technologies Group
(acquired by Aurora Innovation Inc.)
- Technical Writer I (January 2018 - May 2018)
- As part of the Code Health team,
expanding and improving usage documentation
for the ATG's internal development tools.
- Test Operations Specialist I (June 2017 - December 2017)
- As part of Fleet Services,
expanding and improving troubleshooting and service documentation
for the ATG's Krypton and Xenon self-driving vehicles.
- Technical Writer (October 2015 - November 2016)
- Promoting customer success and product adoption
through improved communication of features and processes.
- Developing and implementing a documentation architecture
for all technical communication.
- Writing, formatting, and editing
software and hardware documentation
for Seegrid vehicle operation, configuration, and maintenance.
- Creating online and printable documentation for Seegrid's
"Supervisor" product that coordinates autonomous vehicles into
a coherent, facility-wide industrial system.
- Technical Training Specialist II (March 2013 - October 2015)
- Supporting projects by addressing the training requirements in the
specification and submitting the required deliverables.
- Creating general and/or specific training plans that outline
what training is going to be developed and how it is going to be
- Creating or participating in the creation of a schedule for training development and presentation
- Presenting training to customer personnel, most often at customer locations.
- Arranging for the acquisition or loan of training equipment and/or simulators for hands-on training in the classroom.
Contract Technical Writer
- Dick's Sporting Goods
(November 2012 - January 2013)
- Creating "as built" documentation of DSG's internal
"Master Data Management" system that organizes metadata for
every product of, location in, and vendor to the company.
- Assembling a reference document that details all of the
scheduled batch jobs that are responsible for interfacing
MDM with external systems.
(April 2011 - July 2012)
- Creating documentation for engineers (particularly new hires) to use
as a reference to the tools, environment, and technology of the company.
- Creating and expanding a wiki-based glossary of internal and industry terminology.
(April 2010 - March 2011)
- Working as part of development
to create and update
"man page" documentation in XML
for a command line storage-management interface.
- Making changes to "Simple Management Framework" (SMF) interface code
to support man page improvements.
- Interacting with developers, other writers,
senior reviewers, and QA staff
to assure the technical accuracy and
match corporate communication guidelines.
- Dick's Sporting Goods
(via Oxford Global Resources)
(January 2010 - March 2010)
- Creating and producing a detailed catalog of the
data center of DSG's new Store Support Center.
- Collecting asset location and identification data from
a 5000 square foot data center.
- Organizing and presenting data in a human-readable format.
- Delivering documentation in PDF, Word, and HTML.
- Producing various informal "Quick Note" informational
documents as necessary.
- CoreStar International
(May 2008 - October 2008)
- Creating print documentation in FrameMaker to aid end customers in configuring and using CoreStar's eddy current test equipment and related software products.
- ECI Telecom Data Networking Division
(September 2007 - April 2008)
(now part of Intermec
(via Sapphire Technologies)
(November 2006 - March 2007)
- Creating documentation to enable external developers to customize Vocollect's Voicelink 3.0 product.
- Documenting underlying system design, Java structure, and XML configuration.
- Creating Word documents from MadCap Flare source.
UPMC Information Security Group
(February 2006 - July 2006)
- Creating and maintaining "Quick Guide" end-user documents
for UPMC's internal Identity Management System.
- Reviewing development process documents to discover
necessary end-user documentation changes.
- Re-organizing and updating departmental intranet site
to better communicate the departmental role.
Acclamation Systems, Inc.
(now part of Ebix, Inc.)
- Documentation Specialist (August 2004 - August 2005)
- Adding descriptions of new features to the User Manual for ASI's LuminX product
- Helping to create printed materials to aid HR in recruiting
- Technical Writer (July 2001 - March 2004)
- Creating a User Guide for the IQ-SBS touchscreen user interface
- Creating and maintaining installation & application documents for new hardware
- Managing multiple versions of documents for OEM customers
- Establishing and maintaining an online documentation library
- Exploring video training on DVD
- Creating new documentation templates
- Technical Communications (December 1998 - March 2001)
- Documenting operation and maintenance of train control systems
- Developing lesson plans for operator training courses
- Delivering training to client personnel
- Editing and updating test specifications
Computer Tech /
International Academy of Design and Technology
- Evening Instructor, Internetworking 454 (September 1998 - June 2000)
- Developing curricula, lesson plans, and assignments
- Instructing class in Internet use & web design
- Instructing adults in basic computing skills
- Contract Online Help Specialist (March 1999)
- Updating online help to match new version of printed manual
- Creating new online help from new manual
- Contract Technical Writer & Web Designer (November 1998 - December 1998)
- Migrating reference documents from Word to HTML
- Documenting procedures for study participants
- Designing & Building a web site to hold all materials
(now ASE Edge Inc.)
- Technical Writer / Personnel Development & Training (April 1997 - November 1997)
- Designing and creating online help for factory floor systems
- Developing training courseware from documentation
- Participating in training development
- Creating and documenting information standards
Omniview Design, Inc.
- Technical Documentation Specialist (October 1996 - Feb. 1997)
- Creating the company World Wide Web site in HTML
- Updating software training manual & user guide
- Maintaining product marketing information
- Creating, administrating, and updating internal web
- Science Writer (August 1995 - April 1996)
- Creating an interactive price list and product ordering system
- Translating application examples from Ventura Publisher to HTML.
- HTML and print promotional materials for Algor's
(now part of Ansys, Inc.)
- Technical Writer (May 1993 - August 1995)
- Designing and implementing an online help system in FrameMaker
- Creating the company World Wide Web site in HTML
- Updating documents for new software versions
- Translating documents from the HPtag markup language into FrameMaker
- Creating templates for all Ansoft documentation