The number of writing samples I can provide here is limited. Most of my work has been proprietary in nature and has been considered company confidential by my employers. I do have a larger selection of samples that I can bring to an interview, but I am not permitted to distribute them or leave my personal copies behind.
The Puzzle Cube Service Manual was a writing assignment I completed as part of the application process to the Uber Advanced Technologies Group (the self-driving vehicle research division of Uber). The assignment was to create the service manual and the technical bulletin. After completing that assignment, I realized that the manual should be revised to include the information provided by the bulletin, and produced revision A.
I was very happy with the way this document came out. I was provided with very little information, and expanded that information into complete instructions. I was provided with one graphic, and produced the collection of graphics used throughout the documents.
- Puzzle Cube Service Manual (PDF, 4 megabytes)
- Puzzle Cube Technical Bulletin (PDF, 4 megabytes)
- Puzzle Cube Service Manual, Revision A (PDF, 3.5 megabytes)
IMS enables UPMC staff members to maintain their own computer account information online through a series of secure web forms. The system is documented in a series of approximately fifty short documents. Each document describes hwo to perform a single specific task, or set of closely related tasks.
I wrote these three documents from scratch, based on the style of the existing documents. Each was reviewed for style by another writer, reviewed for technical accuracy by a developer, and given a final review by project management. These documents are distributed online as Acrobat PDF documents through the IMS web site.
- Quick Guide - Getting Started with IMS (PDF, 148 kilobytes)
- Quick Guide - Setting Your IMS Preferences (PDF, 128 kilobytes)
- Quick Guide - Your Privilege report (PDF, 92 kilobytes)
IQ-SBS was a line of intelligent building controls incorporating heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC), access, and lighting control. In addition to the unitary controllers that supervised individual pieces of equipment, the system was networked with and configured through a touch-screen unit called the Local Control Interface (LCI).
I was responsible for maintaining all documentation for the system, which comprised installation instructions, application manuals, and data sheets for more than a dozen controllers, and a user manual for the LCI. I designed a new template for all documents, and kept existing documents up-to-date as well as creating documents for new controllers.
- Local Control Interface User's Manual (PDF, 1.15 megabytes)
- Lighting Control Unit Installation Instructions (PDF, 168 kilobytes)
- Lighting Control Unit Application Manual (PDF, 100 kilobytes)
- Lighting Control Unit Submittal Data (PDF, 40 kilobytes)
In 2001, Dominion Resources experimented with an e-commerce web site designed to provide deals on energy efficient products to their customers. The concept was to promote a feeling of membership, and dsitinguish Dominion from other energy providers.
I was responsible for organizing and editing the specification that had been used to develop the site, but had not been updated as the project evolved over time. I also produced a training document that was used to educate Dominion customer service representatives and enable them to assist callers.
- Using the Dominion Member Services Site (PDF, 3.3 megabytes)
PHW INC. participated in Amtrak's High Speed Trainset development project by designing and manufacturing the EMI Limit Detector (ELD). The ELD monitored the electromagnetic interference (EMI) output of the propulsion systems in the locomotive, and enforced limits on that output by controlling the propulsions system's main circuit breaker.
I developed running maintenance and heavy maintenance documentation for the system according to required Amtrak formats. In addition, I created an eight-hour training course in system troubleshooting and maintenance, which I delivered to Amtrak personnel at their facilities. I designed, wrote, and produced this one-sheet reference to the ELD to use as a class hand-out.
- EMI Limit Detector One Sheet Summary (PDF, 420 kilobytes)
My list of publications in newsletters and magazines is somewhat limited, but I am proud of every one of these efforts.
- This item about Gaffer's Tape appeared in the second issue of MAKE: Magazine
- These PalmOS Software Reviews appeared on uGeek.com (the online magazine for geeks)
- These articles about Web Graphics and Framemaker Indexing appeared in chapter newsletters of the Society for Technical Communication